I guess it's about staring the train wreck down, right down to the rail road ties, sifting through smoke, metal and memory. "Bravery is not for the beautiful."

Mostly you will find posts that contain poems, paragraphs or narrative non-fiction in process or my thoughts on my writing adventures and of course there may be the occasional rant.

I am currently doing "the grind". It's where one writer invites another to be apart of a group. For one month the group of you email new work every day. That means I am writing every day. I will be updating more often, trying to get a little bit more comfortable putting my work "out there".

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Strong (piece still in draft stage)

You gave me a box of rocks
for my 30th birthday.
30 rocks in a pocket sized box,
tied together with a ribbon.
You brought them back from the coast of California.
a coast staggered with pine trees, fault lines
the ghost of john Steinbeck
my history
and acres of vineyards.
You told me each rock represents a
 year that you have survived,
and all I could see was a little monument to the pieces of me
that died each winter, marking solid thoughts and misguided respect on misunderstood tombstones-
You told me that you are strong
but not like the rocks
like water
picking one up- you asked me
how big the rock was once before the water got a hold of it, how long the water worked it until it washed up on the shore
and to think of the strength it took to mold its current shape.
Again you say
you are strong like water
a strength you don't even know that you posses-
strong like water.

No comments:

Post a Comment