I guess it's about staring the train wreck down, right down to the rail road ties, sifting through smoke, metal and memory. "Bravery is not for the beautiful."

Mostly you will find posts that contain poems, paragraphs or narrative non-fiction in process or my thoughts on my writing adventures and of course there may be the occasional rant.

I am currently doing "the grind". It's where one writer invites another to be apart of a group. For one month the group of you email new work every day. That means I am writing every day. I will be updating more often, trying to get a little bit more comfortable putting my work "out there".

Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Fathers Childhood bedroom

You asked about my memories- unspecific but demanding. It was a gesture of mercy that you allowed me to write them down.

And Fakir, with piercing blue eyes, whispers, "this is not about being stoic".

There was always something about this room, it chills me even now, twenty three years later and the house has been sold. This room with wood paneling,  dusty trophies,  vertical blinds, the heavy desk, the stench of onions and my fathers childhood. This is the room she left us, side by side tucked into a full bed. This is the room where I learned to swallow my  prayers, snot and screams. There was always something about my mother leaving. It started before I can even really remember.  Back before my parents lost their house, the few times my mom ever left for an evening out, I wouldn't just scream, I would wail. I would wrap myself in one of the multicolored afghans she made and fall asleep next to the window, hoping to know the minute she got home, the minute I would be safe.There was always  something unpredictable about my fathers eyes. But this time was different, this time my mother wasn't coming back. A month or two is an eternity to a seven year old especially left in the care of a grandmother with different ideas concerning soap and the multiplication tables.

This is the room, where as my mother lay in a hospital, I memorized my "our fathers"and "hail Marys", on my knees- carpet worn but still scratching through a thin floral night gown. This is the room where at ten years old, only months after my mothers death, I had to tell my grandmother about the blood in the bathroom- she clutched me to her chest sobbing about the woman I had become and I was sobbing about the woman I would never be, the shame on my cheeks matching the spot on my underwear. This was also a moment meant for my mother, and even that was taken from me.

This time, both of my parents stood awkwardly in the door frame- his dark skin framed by her light, they promised she wasn't going to die, promised that we would all be a family again. She was leaving for IV's, nausea and hopefully more white blood cells. I sobbed, holding my pillow to my chest- shaking and begging her to stay. Pleading- because my life depended on it. Instead of focusing on my feelings, I focus on the room- the ceiling- where I would lay on my back and stare  for long enough- shapes would twist and emerge like watching shapes come alive in the clouds, or how at sixteen it was in this room my fathers brother told me how my mother embezzled thousands of dollars- hundreds of thousands. This room has become the coffin of my childhood, and this memory it's first nail. The nail being my first understanding of loss- the first time- I understood what it meant to be alone. Like the first time when I lived on my own, and spent all night vomiting in a bathroom- wishing to have someone to hold my non existent hair back- wishing to be the sort of person that some one would want to hold my hair back. Wishing for my mother.

My sister is just a wisp in this memory, perhaps too young to have understood what was happening, to young to be a comfort to me- often she was more of a chore, but in the end- it kept us both alive.

 My Mother did come back for us, some time in the end of March but in this moment I knew she was going to die, even though it happened three years later. This was my first taste of my life without her, that first kick in the gut - that I never really recovered from. They say that you learn to live with it- I still sleep holding a pillow to my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment