I guess it's about staring the train wreck down, right down to the rail road ties, sifting through smoke, metal and memory. "Bravery is not for the beautiful."

Mostly you will find posts that contain poems, paragraphs or narrative non-fiction in process or my thoughts on my writing adventures and of course there may be the occasional rant.

I am currently doing "the grind". It's where one writer invites another to be apart of a group. For one month the group of you email new work every day. That means I am writing every day. I will be updating more often, trying to get a little bit more comfortable putting my work "out there".

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Louder please


If I could tell you anything,
I would say-
Speak louder.
No. Don't shout, it just makes you look angry.
Please don't say- Never mind
Learn to rephrase and not repeat,
I didn't understand the first time. Choose different words.
Step into the light and don't cover your mouth.

If I could tell you anything,
I would advise you not to ask me why I wear hearing aids so young, unless
You ask every person
Under thirty why they wear glasses
Please don't ask if I like them or whether you should get some. Please just see an audiologist.
Do not ask how much they cost, they cost a whole lot more than money, in fact they cost more than words.
Do not ask about the percentages of my loss, there is no way to break it down,
Could you ever put a percentage on how many times, you missed a joke, missed some one asking for help, whispering a prayer or saying  fuck me?
Could you ever put a percentage on the inability to hear your own voice? Or how many sunny hours were lost as a child in speech therapy so you wouldn’t have an accent?
I would also advise you to
not move your lips around with no sound coming out and ask me if I can hear you, this makes you look like an ass, in fact this does make you an ass.

If I could tell you anything-
I would say speak louder,
Loud enough for my heart to hear you,
Loud like the dawn chasing the night away
Loud enough to make the floor vibrate
Loud like a smile and an extended hand
Loud enough for me to not have to say "sorry, could you repeat that?"
Loud enough for me not to apologize for my disability, again and again
Loud enough for me to say, I understand.

If I could tell you anything,
I would say
speak louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment