I guess it's about staring the train wreck down, right down to the rail road ties, sifting through smoke, metal and memory. "Bravery is not for the beautiful."

Mostly you will find posts that contain poems, paragraphs or narrative non-fiction in process or my thoughts on my writing adventures and of course there may be the occasional rant.

I am currently doing "the grind". It's where one writer invites another to be apart of a group. For one month the group of you email new work every day. That means I am writing every day. I will be updating more often, trying to get a little bit more comfortable putting my work "out there".

Monday, June 23, 2014

Sunflowers


I find myself on the edge of a storm, sowing seeds ever so carefully. I don't know why I find myself in the garden when it's about to pour. I stand on the very edge sweating in the last corner of sunlight, with the heavy gray sky whispering her secrets to the last few days of spring. I find my tattoo'd knuckles warm in the dirt, literally burying a metaphor with my sunflowers. It's prayer to summer, to tomorrow, to that rainbow I feel on the back of my neck.

It's taken me years to admit my love affair with flowers. Somehow I was afraid of not being enough--man enough, butch enough, to pass for normal.... enough.

I never was butch, I had the swagger but not the heart, this has always put me on the edge of tears, and I have never known why.

I think of the years I spent in the fields of Watsonville, I think of the men who would get up early in the morning and lay down the 14 foot pipes to water. I think of the lettuce and kale. I think of my favorite flowers--agrostemma-- the roses of heaven. I harvested, I boxed, I washed, I loaded the truck, I ran the market.... it was working on the farm that led me to being able to harvest sides of myself. It was at the farm that I could finally love flowers and still have my masculinity. It was working for a farm that gave me the support I needed to transition, no questions asked. Live and let live. As I tended to produce, I too, blossomed.

And today with the whisper of rain, and my sweat mingling with a rainbow, I sow my prayers to summer, to tomorrow, to sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment